General Discussion / Do you guys support Adaptive Streaming ?
<< < > >>
Reply to this Thread
10/5/2009 11:34:47 AM Reply with Quote

For example if I broad cast at 2megs and i have 10 people in the conference can they have different speeds or do they all have to have 2 meg ?

How about BW going up and down during a conference ?

10/6/2009 7:40:18 AM Reply with Quote

Participants must be able to receive as much data as the other participants in the conference are sharing. As an example, if there are 10 users and each user is sharing video at a rate of 150 kbps, then each user will need to be able to download 1350 kbps from the server (each user's personal video is shown to them in loopback.) If they cannot download this amount of data then they'll start to notice frames dropping, pauses in video, etc.

10/6/2009 8:31:26 AM Reply with Quote

On a setup where 1 person is broad casting at 2 Megs and 10 people are watching (they are not broadcasting)....do all 10 have to have 2 Meg download speed or can that vary. I guess the question is does your server trans code the video into smaller sizes based on the connection speed of the client

Jay

10/6/2009 11:58:56 AM Reply with Quote

We do not perform any transcoding at the server. To reduce confusion and complexity we designed the software with the goal that everyone sees the same thing. Each user will need to be able to receive 2Mbps in your example. If multiple users share an internet gateway then their internet connection must be able to accommodate one 2 Mbps video stream per user in the conference.

10/6/2009 1:48:58 PM Reply with Quote

Thanks Scott and now I realize how stupid my question and I spent 20 years in the CODEC research world.

To do that type of transcoding on a server level in real time you need a very very FAST computer.

Jay

10/7/2009 7:49:02 AM Reply with Quote

Actually, real-time transcoding is something we're researching as a long term feature. The advent of the multi-core cpu has opened up a lot of possibilities that a few years ago would have been impractical.

<< < > >>
Reply to this Thread

NEED HELP?

Europe:   +44 (0) 870 224 0415  (09:00 to 17:30 weekdays, GMT)